Monday, August 24, 2009

Praise Him for His Protection

While I was in the Army Band in Japan in the late 70s, there was one summer when I used to bike back & forth between bases. I had a 15 speed 27" bike & was easily able to travel as fast as the flow of traffic. I remember one time when I was riding back to Camp Zama when it was raining lightly. I wasn't thinking so much about my ability to stop quickly & was traveling with the flow of traffic at about 35 - 40 mph when all of a sudden a car in he lane in front of me turned on it's left turn signal & turned into a driveway. I remember slamming on my brakes to no avail, trying to turn left away from the car when all of a sudden I found myself standing on a sidewalk on the other side of a low guardrail & I watched my bike go flying under the car that had turned in front of me. Without thinking I took a few steps forward, went to my hands & knees & reached under the car to pull my bike out. I reassured the driver that I was OK and examined myself & my bike finding only a scratched up left pedal as evidence of the accident. Needless to say, I rode that last few miles back to the base very slowly and singing the praises of God for his protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment